Fighting food waste together with Too Good To Go
Did you know that 10% of avoidable household food waste in Europe can be put down to confusion around date labels?
We’re teaming up with Too Good To Go to minimise the food waste caused by these misunderstandings around date labels – it’s a little change that could make a big difference.
From end of January 2021, you’ll find in all our x16 The Laughing Cow cheese spread triangles big packs an explanation about what the Best before date means and how you can avoid food waste.
Lots of people think that once the Best Before date has passed, the food is no longer okay to eat – but that’s not the case. As long as it’s been stored in the fridge, the individual wrapper isn’t open,
and it looks, smells and tastes fine, this product will still be delicious to enjoy.
Look, Smell, Taste, Don't Waste!
We’ve joined the ‘Look, Smell, Taste, Don’t Waste’ campaign!
Learn more about the campaign at looksmelltaste.co.uk
Use By - Best Before - Display Until
What’s the difference? Too Good To Go explains
Want to know more about how we're fighting food waste?
At Bel Group, we take concrete actions each step along the way of the cheese making process
- The single-serving portions format, a signature Bel features for over 150 years, is a key asset in the fight against food waste because it optimizes product preservation and offers consumers just the right amount of product to eat.
- At the farm, the milk we use to make our cheeses is collected locally, no more than 200 kilometers from our plants, and it is collected regularly from our dairy farmer partners every three days at a maximum, to limit the time between milk collection and processing.
- At our production sites, numerous efforts are made to use our products to the fullest extent. 99% of common ingredients from the cheese making process, such as cream, are recovered and used in other recipes.
- When confronted with excess inventory, we donate them to charities. In the UK in 2020, we’ve donated 5.8 tons of The Laughing Cow cheese spread to FareShare to support them in the fight against food waste and hunger.
- All told, 99.9% of Bel’s finished goods are either sold or donated to charity.
- We also know that food waste can be caused at home by misunderstandings around date labels, and that’s why we’ve joined Too Good To Go in the Look, Smell, Taste, Don’t Waste campaign.